This is a call to clergy and community leaders to add a new al chet, a ritual call for collective repentance, this year 5779 at Yom Kippur, September 18th, 2018.
This call lays the foundations for a future culture of consent - teaching the ancient Talmudic nuances of what a real yes looks like, and how to recognize it. Our hope is that in creating these standards we begin the process of conditioning towards safer sexual encounters, ones that are hinged upon mutual and resounding desire where all voices are heard.
THIS CALL TO ACTION IS NOT AN ACT OF PARDON.
IT IS A CALL TO RAISING COMMUNAL EXPECTATIONS.
THIS YEAR, MAY WE ALL BE WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF LIFE.
What We AIM TO Achieve
- Our hope is that hundreds of thousands of Jews learn Talmud-based laws on consent and safe sexual encounter.
- To reveal text-based Jewish laws that inform our conversation around consent.
- To teach these values to our communities through revealing consent culture and the nuances of a true yes.
- To introduce a new understanding of Talmudic law to Jewish communities of all demoniations.
- In doing so, to ignite a contagious desire to learn Judaism in a new way.
- And to ignite a contagious desire for consensual and truly safe sex.
- To bring healing to those harmed by non consensual encounter.
- And to prevent the recurrence of non-consensual advance to the best of our ability.